The purpose is to support students with the cost of study resources and to encourage student engagement and a sense of belonging.
Universities adopt Aspire Engage, the smartcard bursary solution, as a way to promote student engagement and to enrich the student experience.
Target your bursaries, awards and other funds to ensure specific benefits to students
Ensuring that all students can participate in their studies is a driving principle of higher education. Bursaries and other financial awards to students are a key part of student support, along with institutional investment in student participation and success. Whilst cash awards are important, ensuring that students have the learning resources, equipment and materials to actively participate in their studies is crucial to their success, along with strong engagement.
For many years we have worked with partner universities as part of their Access Agreements and Access and Participation Plans. We are very alert to Office for Students requirements and are continually seeking to improve our data analysis and support partners in evidencing outcomes.
Benefits of our Engagement Schemes
- Our Engagement Schemes are based on our Aspire software platform which enables student accounts to be set up and then used by the student as determined by their university. Aspire supports the back office processes to work highly effectively.
- Students can be allocated a cash value to spend on an extensive range of educational resources such as print and eBooks, digital devices and technology, specialist equipment (e.g. sewing machines, cameras, medical and sports kit, art materials etc), subscriptions to professional and academic publications etc.
- Schemes can also be used to enhance engagement and participation by enabling students to pay for memberships to clubs, societies, sports facilities, arts and theatre venues etc. They can also support students in hardship by enabling spending at campus catering etc.
- We can also assist in the distribution of bursary, scholarship and other cash awards by setting up a student Aspire account and enabling students to draw down amounts as needed over the academic year or other defined period. This also enables HEIs to apportion bursaries to part cash part educational or other resources for their students.
- We provide an online student store to enable purchases and any other services established under the scheme.